Friday, January 2, 2009

Book Review Catch Up!

Okay. So, I'm still frustratingly sick, but I think I'm finally on the road to getting better. I'm really hoping so otherwise blood may get spilt....

Anyways. Book reviews. Here are my opinions on the last four books I've read:

"The Tales of Beetle the Bard"
By JK Rowling

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so I had to get this book when it came out. Its a quick and fun read. The notes by Dumbledore give some good insight into the deeper meaning or morals of the stories. Quite fascinating. Definitely worth buying to add to my Harry Potter Collection.

"Leven Thumps: The Wrath of Ezra" (Book 4)
By Obert Skye

I enjoy the Leven Thumps series. It is a different style of writing that is quirky, but tells a great story. Book 4 has some good twists and kept me anxious for the end of the book and wondering how the climax was going to play out. I was not disappointed! Great characters and good humor, this book has me strumming my fingers for the next, and final, book. A great series!

"The Brothers"
By Chris Stewart

This book is the first in a series and was recommended by a co-worker. It is LDS fiction about the last days/millinial times. I thought it sounded interesting so I picked it up. Then, I started reading it and couldn't put it down. It's very intriguing. The first book actually takes place in the Pre-earth life and spins a story that portrays that this "war" on earth started a long time ago. There is a big disclaimer at the beginning stating to not take anything in this book as doctrine, but I found many of the author's ideas similar to my own. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking for a chance to pick up book #2.

"The Candy Shop War"
By Brandon Mull

I loved this book! Basically it is about a couple of wizards that use kids to do their bidding and bribe them by giving them magic candy to accomplish the tasks. The different kids have to figure out who the good and bad guys are then choose sides. Then, there is a marvelous twist at the end. Very well written! Highly recommended!

So, I guess that's it! I'm hoping to pick up another book soon. I got some for Christmas and a few that I need to catch up on. I love reading and need to make more time for it!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Aqui Wolfe said...

First comment!!! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Andi said...

I hope that you are better! I love hearing book recommendations. I have been using that website called goodreads.com to keep track of what I have read and what I want to read. I will definately be adding "The Tales of Beetle the Bard", and "The Candy Shop War". I hadn't even heard of the "Leven Thumps" series. Keep em coming and I will start reading!