Friday, October 10, 2008

A First!

Well, I got to ride in an ambulance for the first time today... after I flagged it down.... because I had an inkling that my daughter was in the back.... and she was! Yay! Seriously! It's really funny now that I look back on it, but at the time I was very shaky and worried. I received a phone call informing me that Isabel was having a hard time breathing at school and that her Grandma Ann had taken her to the Urgent Care and that they had called an ambulance to transport her to Primary Childrens Hospital. What mother wouldn't run out of her work shaking and crying? Yeah, there will be lots of questions on Tuesday. So I rode with Isabel to the hospital and we got checked in and they checked her out, diagnosed her with "Croup", gave her a steroid, and then informed me they wanted to keep her a few hours for observation. So, Isabel and I had fun drawing, reading books, eating lunch, and sharing snacks. It was really quite fun! It was like a mother/daughter date! After her observation period was over, Isabel and I headed home and took a nap. It was wonderful. The meds they gave her at the hospital have already made a huge difference in Isabel. She's sounding SO much better!

Anyone that knows me, know that I am rarely without my handy dandy cell phone. It's just a part of me and I feel totally naked without it. Well, today I went to work "naked." Of all days to forget my phone at home... really... it was horrible! I couldn't call anyone because most of the people I would call have long distance numbers. So, I called people from Jimmy's phone while he was there and then had to call my brother at work for the rest of my calls. I don't have my husband's phone number memorized and its long distance so I had to call my brother who got the hospital's number from caller ID, I gave him Isaac's number that I had gotten from Jimmy's phone (ironically enough!), and then he called Isaac to tell him what was going on and give him the number to contact me. I thought it was hilarious! By that time, things were good and settled down so I was out of panic mode. The whole lack of phone was an adventure inside an adventure. Pretty funny!

Tonight, I got to see some of the Chrisman relatives that I miss and love. We hung out for a while, had a great dinner made by Molly, and they got to meet and chat with Isaac. Overall, a very fun and renewing experience. :)

Well, I'm exhausted from my crazy day and I'm excited for tomorrow! I want to post pics of tomorrow so hopefully that will give me the motivation to figure out how to post pics here.... hopefully I'll remember to take some!!

2 comments:

Aqui Wolfe said...

Did you ever find out why Isabel had breathing issues?

Andi said...

Whew, that is scary! Landis had Croup as a baby and it is so hard to watch your child not be able to draw a breath. I have since learned that both humidity and extremely cold air help immediately to relieve symptoms. I am so so sorry to hear that Isabel had this, that really stinks. I hope she is feeling better!